Contacts Fittings for Specialty Contact Lenses Including Ortho-k
Contact lenses are medical devices and different eyes need different types of contact lenses. While most people can wear soft contact lenses to correct refractive conditions (such as nearsightedness, farsightedness, astigmatism and presbyopia), there is a significant population of people who require custom or specialized contact lenses. These contact lenses are challenging and take significant time and expertise to fit. Dr. Greg Jackson embraces new contact lens technologies and challenging contact lens fits.
Below are several of the highly specialized fits that we offer:
How would you like to see during the day without contact lenses or glasses? Ortho-k makes that possible with the fitting of gas permeable night contact lenses! The process is reversible and a non-surgical alternative to LASIK and other refractive surgeries.
Two Reasons Why Ortho-k Is Recommended
1) To temporarily correct myopia so you don’t need contact lenses or glasses during the day. This is a great option for swimmers, certain athletes and patients who are around dust or suffer from dry eyes, both of which make wearing soft or gas permeable contact lenses challenging.
2) To slow or decrease the rate of progression of childhood myopia. This is important as several studies have shown that ortho-k lenses can actually slow the rate of increase in myopia in children. Many parents are concerned when their child’s eyeglass prescription continues to change year after year. Ortho-k is the number one choice in myopia control.
Our practice offers several types of ortho-k lenses; Bausch + Lomb (Wave), Paragon Vision Sciences (Paragon CRT), and Global OK (GOV) . Schedule an appointment with Dr. Greg Jackson to see if ortho-k is the right choice for you or your child.
WAVE NightLens by Bausch + Lomb
WAVE NightLens Contact Lens System uses the patient’s corneal topography to design custom orthokeratology lenses under Bausch + Lomb Vision Shaping Treatment VST parameters. Multiple micro aspheric curves create a reverse geometry lens design while the lens periphery is made to closely match corneal periphery curvature, providing excellent centration.
Paragon CRT by Paragon Vision Sciences
Paragon CRT (Paragon Vision Sciences) is a specific brand of corneal reshaping lenses that has a proprietary lens design and fitting methodology, called corneal refractive therapy (CRT). Though technically different than orthokeratology, CRT is used for similar purposes and produces comparable results.
GOV® Series ORTHO-K Lenses
Chief designer and Ophthalmologist, Dr Arthur Tung, has dedicated his time to the ever growing problem of myopia worldwide with specific reference to Orthokeratology and visual training. Practitioners using the GOV orthokeratology system have achieved successful fits as high as −10.00D of myopia and +5.00D of hyperopia.
Multifocal Contact Lens
According to studies cited by the American Optometric Association, multifocal contact lenses for children with myopia can slow the progression of nearsightedness, providing a more effective and efficient treatment option. Multifocal lenses appear to be more effective than bifocal glasses and as effective as orthokeratology contact lenses. “Bifocal glasses slow the progression of myopia but only by a very small amount—in fact, they don’t provide clinically meaningful slowing of myopia progression,” Dr. Walline says. Orthokeratology, the process of wearing gas-permeable contact lenses at night to reshape the eye and temporarily provide clear vision without wearing glasses or contact lenses, also slows myopia progression and eye growth. Learn More
Zenlens™ is a mini-scleral, fully vaulting lens which fits a wide variety of corneal shapes and sizes using a single fitting set and fitting philosophy.
- A fundamentally well designed scleral with refined peripheral curves and generous landing zone with great fit and comfort Lens diameters of 16.0 mm and 17.0 mm—appropriate for a wide range of corneal sizes
- Prolate and oblate designs to fit a wide range of corneal shapes Smart Curve™ allows us to modify only the parameter you need, not the ones you don’t
- Custom design options to fine-tune optics and physical fit